Ok, so maybe I am out of the loop but I did not really know what Web 2.0 was, so I visited a link to it which took me to Wikipedia. Examples of Web 2.0 are "social networking sites, blogs, wikis, video sharing sites, hosted services, web applications, mash-ups and folksonomies". Then things started to make more sense, but I was not familiar with mash-ups or folksonomies....So I looked them up on Wikipedia as well. A mash-up is "a web page or application that uses and combines data, presentation or functionality from two or more sources to create new services" and a folksonomy is "a system of classification derived from the practice and method of collaboratively creating and managing tags to annotate and categorize content; aka Collaborative Tagging";"Tagging, which is one of the defining characteristics of Web 2.0 services, allows users to collectively classify and find information".
So now that I know a little bit more about Web 2.0 and all of the resources it has to offer, I am excited to see where "School 2.0" will take us. I believe that as the world gets more technologically aware, the school will naturally have to follow. As it stands, current students have grown up in a world of Facebook, YouTube, iPads, etc. so as a teacher, you have to "keep up" with the goings on, to effectively teach a group of students who have grown up in a technology infiltrated society. Things are changing for education, you just have to be willing to change and adapt to new things.
:o)
No comments:
Post a Comment